1. Hey, Guest! Do you want to chat with us? Then come to the chat thread Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Sugoi Desu, Respected Guest! Please take a moment to register today.

Does the Big Three exist anymore?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussion' started by Rohan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Rohan Guest

Discuss on the above video.

2. Crimson Falcon pussy lounge

Trophy Points
    Keno
    20,140ლ
  3. Kaito

Kaito thicc thighs save lives

Trophy Points
    Keno
    190,280ლ
    No one really needs to watch the video to answer this, but...

The big 3 is just a term to refer to the top 3 best-selling (and most popular) WSJ series.

It's not a term that was coined on Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, lol.

So to answer your question, yes, the current top selling series (big 3) are dead, as they are not as popular as they once were.

4. Errant Singularity Crack of Lightning Splitting the Ground

Trophy Points
    Keno
    3,868ლ
    The original big three are kinda gone, except OP which doesn't count.

New new big three are a thing, just not as important as the previous were due to anime becoming more popular and widespread. Before you'd say anime and people would think Bleach, OP, and Naruto, now they think of any different series they'd seen because it's just out there more and not such a niche market outside of japan. I have a friend who never has seen any anime but he knows a lot about AoT simply due to references and some friends talking. Pretty sure BHA made it to some news channel in a series review alongside some comics too.

5. Yoshi Regular Member

recruiter
    Trophy Points
    Keno
    893ლ
    There's kind of a big two. Naruto rivals Dragon Ball of all things in worldwide, and One Piece is the best selling Manga while still being an ongoing series. Bleach fell the **** off.

Kamiyama likes this.
  6. JoeJoe

JoeJoe from the east blue

Trophy Points
    Keno
    125,217ლ
    As of now,it's only Big One since only one manga from Big Three is still relevant.

7. Lukecetion Newbie Member

Trophy Points
    All three are still alive, though one of them (Bleach) is decaying in popularity fast. Naruto has a follow-up in the form of the "New Generation Project" which is still going strong among fans, new watchers of anime/manga and old people who originally didn't like "Naruto" as a whole. One Piece is still going on, though from what I can gather around the internet, it has the same issue that "Naruto" and "Bleach" faced. Fans are sticking with the series, not because they really want it, but because it "would be a shame to drop it after so many years". They are waiting for it to end, as people did with "Naruto" and "Bleach" before it.

As for whenever or not the "big three" (referring to Naruto, Bleach and One Piece) still exist... Of course they still exist, and of course they will give the torch over to the "next generation" of anime and manga, "Naruto" has given it to "Boruto" and some of it flowed towards "Black Clover". "Bleach" just died, and something will take it's place, someone believed it would be "One Punch Man", though now it seems more likely that it will be "My Hero Academia" if anything.

Kamiyama likes this.
  8. Rohan Guest

I think that My Hero Academia is a worthy successor to Naruto. Like it gives me the same feels as Naruto.

9. Lukecetion Newbie Member

Trophy Points
    The issue with that, is that we have two other series who are a lot more like Naruto than MHA. Black Clover is a spinning image of "Naruto" in more way than than one. I mean, the series is about a outcast kid who wishes to become the Magic Emperor so that the people of his country will respect him, all despite the fact that he has no natural talent for magic. He is short and blond, stupid and kind, trusting in his friends and the bonds be make. He is basically Naruto in more than just spirit. On top of that we have "Boruto" which is more than just a successor to a popular series, it is in-fact a more well received series than "Naruto" has been for years.

10. Rohan Guest

I have never read Black Cover so I don't know. :thinking

I don't think it needs to be a duplicate or be a sequel to qualify to be the successor. I think it's all about popularity potential.

I don't know anything about Black Clover so I am neutral there but I doubt Boruto will have a big impact.

11. Lukecetion Newbie Member

Trophy Points
    There is a concept in marketing, which is that if something worked 10 years ago, it will work again today. That is what Black Clover has tried to do. It started out feeling more like a "Naruto" clone than anything, then suddenly it turned into it's own series with it's own turns and twists. It released shortly after "Naruto" ended, and got a fair share of popularity thanks to that. People wanted more after "Naruto" ended and thus hang unto it, it aimed to replace "Naruto" in every way possible and to some degree it has succeeded. Of course, "Boruto" has tried to do the same, and it is arguable which one is the most successfully at it.

In terms of sales however, (unless I am far off here) then "Boruto" was a surprise to everyone, and it still is.

12. Rohan Guest

Is Black Clover good?

13. Lukecetion Newbie Member

Trophy Points
    I would say so. It has it's shortcomings and any manga does though.

14. Rohan Guest

I will give it a read then. :happymm

15. Yoru

Yoru Godly Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    6,233ლ
    If by the big three you mean OP, Naruto and Bleach then duh, Naruto ended and switched to Boruto, Bleach crashed and burned afaik and so we're left with One Piece.

It makes more sense to ask are there any 3 series that are overwhelmingly popular like the original big 3 were? To this I can't really answer because WSJ has been changing its stuff quite a bit recently. A lot of older series are being wrapped up and shonen in general seems to have been shoved aside (except for Boku no Hero Academia and Black Clovers which I think are the leaders of the genre as far as the magazine is concerned). We may have a big 3 but I don't think it's nearly as big as the original was.

This guy made an insightful video about it so you could go and check it out as it sums up the situation very nicely and gives some credible sources: