1. Hey, Guest! Do you want to chat with us? Then come to the chat thread Here!
  2. Hey, Guest! Follow Sugoi Desu on FaceBook Here!
Welcome to Sugoi Desu, Respected Guest! Please take a moment to register today.

Discussion [Review] Justice League - NO SPOILER

Discussion in 'TV, Movies & Sports' started by Marin, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    [​IMG]
    Just came back from the pre-premiere of the movie and if you asked me to describe DCEU's latest (and most important) film so far, I'd borrow a sentence I heard somewhere else: "It looks like a Snyder movie but it plays like a Whedon one."

After Snyder's daughter passed away and he was forced to drop off the project, Whedon was allowed to finish things up and he definitely did more than just say "yea, this is ok". His signature is clearly seen throughout the film and while this will make everyone who wanted a more "normal" cinema experience from DC happy but for that same reason it also made me disappointed.

[​IMG]

In many ways this is a more normal superhero movie than Batman v Superman was. It has ton of action, it's fast-paced, has lots of humour and is simple and easy to follow. While I am fine with everything else, the last bit is what I have a problem with, or the degree of it to be precise. The film plays like a Marvel film would, but it plays like a dumb Marvel film. The story here had potential; Batman goes on to gather all these mysterious folks and they overcome their differences to fight the big bad. The problem is, most of it is poorly executed.

To contrast BvS' long, slowly-revealed story with action being put off till the last moment, Justice League bombards us with entertaining and spectacular fights (truly nothing to complain about here, better coreography than a lot of things Marvel has done) but it also tries to not make your head hurt by laying bare what the story is all at once. Right at the first part of the movie, we're told who the bad guy is, what he wants and what needs to be done to stop him (in a really really cheap and unimaginative way) and from there on we already can see how the rest of the movie will play out.

[​IMG]

The movie would've degraded into utter predictability if there wasn't an inner conflict between the League memebers which takes a different form from simple "recruit issues" we saw in Avengers. The conflict definitely makes for the most interesting, funny, original and entertaining parts of the whole movie. Too bad that we're thrown back into the predictable generic "bad guy wants to destroy the world" story.

SUMMARY

So is Justice League good? Well the answer to this will depend on one thing. If you can get over the bland and generic villain and the boring and predictable alien invasion plot and are here for tons of action and laughs (and trust me, the Flash, Aquaman and even Batman will make you laugh) while enjoying the epic sight of all these heroes finallly working together how heroes should work, then yes you will love the movie. If however you came expecting a more "Snyder-like" experience with a complicated story, you will walk out underwhelmed. You will instead be greeted with a Marvel-like film which is overall what you'd expect from a blockbuster hero film - it's loud, funny, action-packed and visually beautiful but at the same time not something that will make you use your brain much.

+ character dynamic
    + action coreography and visuals
    + great conflict between league members
    + good jokes
    bland and uninteresting story and villain -
    recruitment scenes feel rushed -
    certain character's backstories aren't satisfactorly revelaed -
    SCORE: 6.5/10

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    upsurge likes this.
  2. Tsunbear

Tsunbear Tentacle Taco +.+

Trophy Points
    Keno
    18,586ლ
    So if you were to compare it in terms of Avengers? Would level of quality be similar orrrr?

3. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    I'm not a big fan of Avengers (both movies to me are bland and uninteresting) but I'd say this is the poor man's Avengers.

4. god Eji Calamity

Trophy Points
    Keno
    2,949ლ
    Don't understand what is going on at Warner Bros. DC comics are in general darker and grimier than MCU comics so why not just make the movies the way their successful animations/movies/videogames are designed?
    Why do they need to try and coat-tail on a movie formula that MCU have found success with?

5. Tsunbear

Trophy Points
    Keno
    18,586ლ
    Ah rightio
    Well due to their previous platform mishaps they don't have the convertible can base marvel does and I think they want that. But I think there's easier ways of following that and sticking to the reason why there is a fan base

6. ッCrimson

ッCrimson Coding in Java

Event Banner #6
    Trophy Points
    Keno
    474ლ
    So it's basically, another dissonant botched dc movie, why am I not surprised. I'm guessing 40-60% on Rotten tomatoes? They need to just fire that idiot Zack snyder no offense and bring a competent director for the love of god. The dc universe is a diamond in the rough and has so much potential. Too bad the dceu is run by a bunch of stupid dumbasses.

7. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    I think it has more to do with WB forcing trends into a director's vision than anything else. Snyder himself wasn't the only one writing the script btw, it was also Terrio.

8. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    They tried that with BvS and got burned on a stake for it.

9. ッCrimson

ッCrimson Coding in Java

Event Banner #6
    Trophy Points
    Keno
    474ლ
    I still don't think snyder is a good choice. He has produced 2 other movies in the dceu whom both were practically shit. He had his chance and failed to deliver. Time to change him.

10. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    True, imo he should just direct things. Leave writing and ideas to others.

(The movies you say were shit I liked tho, so make of that what you will.)

ッCrimson likes this.
  11. god Eji Calamity

Trophy Points
    Keno
    2,949ლ
    It's just stupid to me to have all these acclaimed videogames/animations/movies and go "nope give me that Marvel money ."
    I'll wait to see it though before I pass judgement though

12. Tsunbear

Trophy Points
    Keno
    18,586ლ
    Truth I mean the only way to improve for them is to focus on the bits that aren't working
    Truth

13. ッCrimson

ッCrimson Coding in Java

Event Banner #6
    Trophy Points
    Keno
    474ლ
    I think the dceu movies as a whole are way too simplistic and trite and is basically cluttered with bullshit everywhere. Like batman's justifications over going after superman or how shallow the suicide squad's villain is and how poorly executed her defeat was.

14. Marin Legendary Member

Trophy Points
    Keno
    757ლ
    Well, WB did give Ayer only 3 weeks to write the script.

15. Tsunbear

Trophy Points
    Keno
    18,586ლ
    It has potential that's the thing but a lot of it isn't well represented