1. Hey, Guest! Do you want to chat with us? Then come to the chat thread Here!
  2. Hey, Guest! Follow Sugoi Desu on FaceBook Here!
Welcome to Sugoi Desu, Respected Guest! Please take a moment to register today.

Fate Guide (Copy Pasta)

Discussion in 'Fate' started by Kame, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Kame Heaven's Feel

Trophy Points
    Keno
    4,656,219ლ
    Where should I start?

Choose one of these options to get into the series:

Anime-only Order: UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero.

Master's Order: Fate route of the VN -> UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero.

King's Order (RECOMMENDED): Entire F/SN visual novel -> Fate/Zero -> UBW anime -> HF movies.

The Anime-only Order is for people who want to experience the Fate series only in anime form. There are various problems with this order, however. First is that you skip the Fate route, which is essential to understanding UBW. The Fate route is mainly Saber's route, while also being the introductory and world-building route. You miss a good chunk of info and characterization which could negatively impact your experience with UBW.

The Master's Order is for people who want to follow the intended order of the routes, but want to experience the anime form of UBW and HF first. This is a safer choice, as you'll be able to enjoy ufotable's amazing animation without much holding you back. While safe, this order is not optimal. Ufotable's Fate series adaptions are mainly made to appeal to VN readers. Their UBW adaption, while highly acclaimed by many, is not perfect. And that is because it does not go into Shirou's head as well as the VN does. So if you feel like trading the extra bit of characterization for the amazing animation and visuals, go with this order. The Fate route is around 12-15 hours long of a read, and while it has a slow start, it picks up very well later on.

Other problems with the above orders:

Since the Fate/Zero anime was made before UBW and HF, it's animation quality (while still amazing) is inferior, so watching it last may seem like a downgrade from a visual perspective.

UBW's 2nd cour is still airing.

There is no known release date for HF movies, which could take years for all we know, preventing you from watching a complete 2 cours of Fate/Zero.

The King's Order is the most optimal and does not have any of the above problems. Once you've experienced the greatness that is the entirety of F/SN, you can indulge yourself in ufotable's quality visuals and cinematics with absolutely nothing holding you back. The only problem with this order is the massive time commitment (50+ hours), though you won't find this to be a bad thing when you really start enjoying the VN.

Side notes:

You can either read or watch Fate/Zero, the only difference being that the LN has extra characterization while the anime has visuals/music/voice acting/etc.

/r/FateStayNight is doing a summarized walkthrough of the Fate route. Although it’s not a substitute for the Fate route, it is much better to read it than going into UBW with no prior knowledge. It does, however, work as a perfect refresher to the Fate route if you’ve already read it.

If you choose to read the HF route after watching the UBW anime, I suggest you read the Fate route first.

You can read the sequel VN to Fate/Stay Night called Fate/Hollow Ataraxia anytime after you read F/SN. Info on how to install it can be found here.
    -------------------------------------------------->

Can I watch Fate/Zero first?

Some people will tell you that if you plan to go strictly anime-only, you should follow this order:

F/Z->UBW->HF

Pros:

Your experience from an animation stand point improves as you go on.

You gain some necessary knowledge and worldbuilding that will help you understand UBW more.

You don't have to wait for the HF movies to watch F/Z.

Cons:

You'll miss out on tons of references to F/SN in F/Z.

You won't be able to understand terms throughout F/Z, and most of what's going on near the end.

Scenes in F/Z will be a lot less impactful.

The worldbuilding/knowledge in F/Z is meant to be a refresher for people that know most of it from reading F/SN, and isn't as nearly as in-depth as the Fate route. Think of it as reading a summary of a book vs reading the book itself.

You lessen your experience of HF with most of the first half being spoiled.

You severely lessen your experience with the Fate route (if you ever might read it down the road) with most of the route's twists being spoiled.

And as some people tend to go into UBW after Fate/Zero expecting it to be a sequel, they get severely disappointed because of the change in writers, themes, and focus. They know too many details about characters they shouldn't know. Some will tell you F/SN spoils the end of F/Z. As I said before, Fate/Zero expands on past events that are mentioned in the F/SN VN, and was written with the intent that readers finished all 3 routes of the visual novel. This means that Fate/Zero is written in a way that is more about the journey than the outcome. While I most definitely do not recommend watching Fate/Zero first, if you're absolutely sure you won't ever read the VN down the road, you're fine with getting spoiled, and you're fine with rewatching, then there's nothing really stopping you from watching it first.
    I've already watched Fate/Zero, is Fate/Stay Night completely ruined for me?

I wouldn't say ruin, but it will most certainly change your perspective on some of the characters and events while you read/watch through it. You'll just be going through a different experience than what was intended, but you'll still find yourself enjoying F/SN. There are plenty of more twists and turns so don't let this detract you from experiencing F/SN! I definitely recommend giving F/Z a rewatch once you've finished all 3 routes (whether you've watched them, read them or both), as you'll find new things you couldn't catch the first time without the prior knowledge.
    --------------------------------------------------------->

Credits to the guide: Teh Fate guide.

Rohan likes this.
  2. Kame Heaven's Feel

Trophy Points
    Keno
    4,656,219ლ
  3. Nova Rєвιятн & Hσρє

Trophy Points
    Keno
    865ლ
    I started with UBW the anime, F/Z, HF, then Fate.

:geg

4. Kame Heaven's Feel

Trophy Points
    Keno
    4,656,219ლ
    Lml, that's the almost intended way, except all routes > and then zero. I did things differently at first since i didn't know about all this, so meh.